Australian Awards Scholarships
The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade administers Australia Scholarships, which are long-term awards.
They want to help Australia’s partner countries meet their development needs in accordance with bilateral and regional agreements.
They allow persons from developing nations, notably those in the Indo-Pacific area, to study full-time at participating Australian universities and Technical and Further Education (TAFE) institutes.
Individuals’ skills and knowledge are developed as a result of the study and research opportunities provided by Australia Awards Scholarships, allowing them to influence change and contribute to development in their home countries.
Scholarships from Australia Awards are awarded for the least amount of time required to finish the academic program indicated by the Australian higher education institution, including any preparatory training. In general, the following advantages apply:
- the complete cost of tuition
- round-trip air travel–payment of a single round-trip economy class ticket to and from Australia through the shortest route.
- an establishing allowance–a one-time payment to help with living expenses, textbooks, and study supplies.
- Contribution to Living Expenditures (CLE) — a fortnightly payment to cover basic living expenses at a rate set by the department.
- Introductory Academic Curriculum (IAP)–a mandatory program covering information on living and studying in Australia prior to the start of official academic courses.
- For the period of the award (for award holders only), Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)–is provided to cover the scholar’s basic medical needs (with the exception of pre-existing conditions)
- supplemental academic support may be given to ensure a scholar’s academic performance or enrich their academic experience
- pre-course English (PCE) fees–if judged required, PCE may be available for scholars for in-country and/or in-Australia training
- Fieldwork may be offered for qualifying research students for one return economy class travel via the most direct route to their country of citizenship or within Australia (for research awards and Master by coursework with a research component where fieldwork is required).
Conditions of the award
Applicants who wish to receive an Australia Awards Scholarship must sign a contract with the Commonwealth of Australia stating that they will adhere to the scholarship’s terms and conditions.
After finishing their fellowship, scholars must leave Australia for at least two years. Failure to do so will result in the scholar acquiring debt for the amount of their scholarship that has been accrued.
How to apply
Information on how to apply for an Australia Awards Scholarship.